Friday, April 25, 2008

Prisual Journalism

As I've mentioned before, I've been confused about my future lately. Really for the first time in my entire life. I just switched my major for the second time and while I've had a week to think about it, I'm still freaking out about the switch. I love writing, I want to be a journalist, what am I doing switching my major away from print journalism?

I think what I fear most is that potential employers will look at my resume, see "visual journalism" and assume I'm not a writer. Hopefully this won't happen. Hopefully they'll see that I can write and I can design. Hopefully this will put me ahead of my competition.

You could imagine my surprise on Thursday morning, in the midst of this dilemma, when I opened the Miami Hurricane and saw the article "Some students face mid-college crisis." I'm not alone! Of course I knew I wasn't, but it was still reassuring to read about other students going through the same thing I am. It makes me feel even better when I read about students switching from sciences to motion pictures - and I thought switching journalism fields was bad!

Despite my doubts, I know I made the right choice. And rather than taking biology and chemistry for no reason, I took news reporting and mass media law. One day, when I'm sitting at my desk at my dream job (that I know I'll get), I'll look back on college and the diverse education I've gotten here. I'm not graduating as a Visual Journalism major. I'm graduating as a Prisual Journalism and Political Science major, and that's pretty sweet.

No comments: