Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Can we make the internet disappear for a while?

I hate the internet. Okay, that's a lie, I love it. But it's really annoying when I'm sitting here in the computer lab trying to write a term paper with the little Firefox icon staring at me out of the corner of my eye.

I established this a few blogs back; I have an addiction. Everyday: food, oxygen, sleep, internet. While it can be a good thing in so many ways, it's really reached the point where I find it difficult to focus without taking a five minute break here and there to check a few websites. Apparently I'm not the only one. As I glance around the computer lab, about half the people in here can be seen on some website rather than doing their work.

The easiest solution would be to just keep my internet browser closed or go somewhere with my computer and turn the wireless off. Yeah, that's great until I face an assignment in which I need the internet and, let's face it, that's most of my assignments. Example A? The one I'm working on right now.

Example B would be the term paper and I am trying to finish. While it's a paper that I write in Microsoft Word, I need to search LexisNexis for all of my resources. The trend seems to be every time I find a resource, I take a break to check my email, Facebook, etc. Well after finding 15 resources, this obviously adds up.

So how do I stop this? How do I limit my internet addiction while trying to complete work? The only solution for me seems to be waiting until the last minute. See, right now I know I have all night, but tomorrow at 1 p.m. I'll only have two hours. And that's when that tiny Firefox icon in the corner of my screen seems to disappear.

Thank you Tim Berners-Lee, wherever you are, for making my work take three times as long as it should.

No comments: