Tuesday, April 29, 2008

And so it ends...

As the semester comes to a close, I only feel that it's necessary to look back on my four months in CNJ442, Online Journalism. It's driven me absolutely insane, made me cry on a few occasions, and caused me more stress than I ever imagined. Yet, it's also opened up new doors for me and helped me discover what I want to do with the rest of my life.

Online Journalism has taught me that design could not only be a hobby, but a career. With skills in both journalism and design, I will be an asset to any news company, and I will have Online Journalism to thank for that. When I look back on college in ten years, I will remember that it was this class that helped me choose a career path and define my goals.

Online Journalism has also taught me the importance of communication and deadlines. If you don't communicate with people you are working with, your project is going to fail. Similarly, if you don't meet your deadlines, your partners can't meet theirs, and the project may also fail. We faced both of these problems this semester and I'm optimistic that these lessons I learned will help me in the future.

While I despised this class at times, and even thought about dropping it more than once, looking back, I'm extremely happy that I stuck it out. What I've gained from this class is worth the aggravation and the stress I went through. Since this is the only online journalism class offered at the University of Miami (as I've talked about before), I bid you adieu OJ, until we meet again...

No comments: