Saturday, April 12, 2008

I've hit a fork in the road... Or have I?

I remember a time, back in high school looking at colleges, when all of my friends had no idea what they wanted to study. They had trouble looking for a school because they didn't know what they were looking for. I knew what I wanted: communications, school spirit, and a mid-to-large-sized student body.

From the time I was ten years old, I knew what I wanted to do. I wanted to be a broadcaster for the New York Yankees. I entered UM as a broadcast journalism major certain that I wanted to broadcast baseball games. I looked around at my peers jumping from major to major and was grateful knowing that would never be me. Yeah, that lasted a semester and a half.

Last spring I took my first news writing course and a philosophy class that was one of those "show up to class, get an A" type of deals. I had no idea when I took that class that it would change my life. We had to give a debate, on what I have no clue, and I remember being so nervous to speak in front of the class that I sped through my entire speech. Meanwhile, other than the fact it was at 8 a.m., I loved news writing. It was after this debate that I decided to change my major from broadcast to print journalism.

A year later, I find myself stuck again. Online journalism has opened up new doors for me. Over the course of this semester, I've realized how much I love graphic design, videography, web design, etc. As I was putting together my multimedia package, it occurred to me that I enjoyed designing the banner and making the video more than I enjoyed reporting and writing the story. So now what?

I still love writing. Words seem to flow off of my fingertips and into my Word document effortlessly. But part of me wishes I could dive more deeply into the design side of journalism. I've been thinking about this conflict for the past month or so and it seems to me, that if this convergence thing is really true, this is probably the best position for me to be in. If I not only love to write, but I can design as well, then I should have a leg up on the competition. Everybody watch out.

No comments: