Thursday, April 17, 2008

From Broadcast to Print to Visual

So today I was rather spontaneous, which is unlike me. I officially changed my major from print journalism to visual journalism. I'll be honest, I'm a little apprehensive about the switch. It's not that I don't like journalism anymore, completely the opposite actually. I still want to be a journalist, but I feel that I already have writing skills. Visual journalism will allow me to gain skills in other areas that will be beneficial in the future.

At least three people I told about the switch asked me if it was because of online journalism, but they asked it in an "online journalism turned you off of journalism" kind of way. And yes, it was because of online journalism, but not because it scared me away from writing. Online journalism this semester has opened up doors for me. I love this new media stuff. It's what I want to do with my life. Ever since I began learning graphics, web design, and video production in high school, I've been interested in visual media, but it wasn't until this semester that I realized this is something I could spend my life doing.

Last time I changed my major (from broadcast to print), I thought about it for an entire summer. This has been in the back of my mind for a few weeks, but when I woke up Monday morning, I had no intention of doing this. I never thought I'd be a person confused about what I want to study, yet here I find myself, confused. It would be wonderful if I could do both visual and print, but I don't want to be here for five years. So visual it is. I hope.

No comments: