Friday, March 7, 2008

Always Up or Down, Never Down and Out

When I began studying journalism, all I heard was how the journalism profession was on the way down and out. There wasn't going to be a journalism market when I graduated college. Even still, every time I see my dad, he repetitively tells me how I shouldn't be studying journalism. My aunt and uncle are journalists in Germany and apparently their careers are less than glamourous (although they seem happy to me).

A year and half into my college career I'm finally hearing about how much the journalism field is changing and growing. Professors and professionals are telling us how much opportunity is out there for people who can master this "new"media. I can finally go home and when my dad tells me how journalism is dying, I can prove him wrong. "Journalism" how my dad thinks of it, is dying. But journalism, what is actually is now, is continuously explanding. I'm excited.



To my readers: I'll be taking the next week off for Spring Break. Check back on the 18th.

No comments: